MEMBERS VEHICLES

On this page you have access to some of our club car photos, a little information about each car's make and a few great restoration stories.

Use a quick photo link to jump to the brand you're interested in, or browse down through them all. If you would like to know more about a particular car or have restoration questions for the owner please submit a request via our contact page. 

Currently featuring makes alphabetically from A-G, with more to be added soon as our website update is completed.

 

ALVIS

The Alvis Story (Summary)

The original company, T.G. John and Company Ltd., was founded in 1919 by Thomas George John (1880–1946). Its first products were stationary engines, carburetors and motorscooters. On 14 December 1921 the company officially changed its name to The Alvis Car and Engineering Company Ltd. Geoffrey de Freville (1883–1965) designed the first Alvis engine and is also responsible for the company name.

Production was relocated to Holyhead Road in Coventry, where from 1922 to 1923 they also made the Buckingham car. In 1922 George Thomas Smith-Clarke (1884–1960) left his job as assistant works manager at Daimler and joined Alvis as Chief Engineer and Works Manager. Smith-Clarke was accompanied by William M. Dunn, who also left his job as a draughtsman at Daimler to become Chief Draughtsman at Alvis. This partnership lasted for nearly 28 years and was responsible for producing some of the most successful products in the company's history. Smith-Clarke left in 1950, and Dunn assumed Smith-Clarke's position as chief engineer, remaining in that position until 1959.

De Freville's first engine design was a four-cylinder engine with aluminium pistons and pressure lubrication, which was unusual for that time. The first car model using de Freville's engine was the Alvis 10/30. It was an instant success and established the reputation for quality workmanship and superior performance for which the company was to become famous. The original 10/30 side-valve engine was improved, becoming by 1923 the overhead valve Alvis 12/50, a highly successful sports car that was produced until 1932. Around 700 of the 12/50 models and 120 of the later Alvis 12/60 models survive today.

1927 saw the introduction of the six-cylinder Alvis 14.75 and this engine became the basis for the long line of luxurious six-cylinder Alvis cars produced up to the outbreak of the Second World War. These cars were elegant and full of technical innovations. Independent front suspension and the world's first all-synchromesh gearbox came in 1933 followed by servo assisted brakes. The Alvis 12/75 model was introduced in 1928, a model bristling with innovation, such as front-wheel drive, in-board brakes, overhead camshaft and, as an option, a Roots type supercharger.

In 1936 the company name was shortened to Alvis Ltd, and aircraft engine and armoured vehicle divisions were added to the company by the beginning of the Second World War. Smith-Clarke designed several models during the 1930s and 1940s, including the six-cylinder Speed 20, the Speed 25, and the Alvis 4.3 Litre mode

Car production was initially suspended in September 1939 following the outbreak of war in Europe, but was later resumed and production of the 12/70, Crested Eagle, Speed 25, and 4.3 Litre continued well into 1940.

Rover took a controlling interest in Alvis in 1965 and a Rover-designed mid-engined V8 coupé prototype named the P6BS was rumoured to be the new Alvis model. As part of Rover, Alvis Limited was incorporated into British Leyland but was bought by United Scientific Holdings plc in 1981.

Member's Car

1927 Alvis 
Make - Alvis

Year - 1927

Model - TG 12/50

Body - Tourer

Engine - Over Head Valve 4 cyl, in-line.100.4 ci (1.6L),12/50hp @ ????rpm

Gearbox - 4sp, non-syncro.

Diff. Ratio - ?.?:1

Wheelbase - 112.5" (2857mm)

Brake -

Weight -

Wheel - Wire

Tyre Size - 4.95 x 29"

Origin - UK - Coventry
 

History of this Vehicle

History and restoration unknown.

Fast and reliable tourer, driven regularly on club outings and rallies.

 

ARMSTRONG SIDDELEY

The Armstrong Siddeley Story  (Summary)

Siddeley Autocars, of Coventry, was founded by John Davenport Siddeley in 1902. Its products were heavily based on Peugeots, using many of their parts but fitted with English-built bodies. This company merged with Wolseley in 1905 and made stately Wolseley-Siddeley motorcars. They were used by Queen Alexandra and the Duke of York later King George V.

In 1909 J. D. Siddeley resigned from Wolseley and took over the Deasy Motor Company, and the company became known as Siddeley-Deasy. In 1912, the cars used the slogan "As silent as the Sphinx" and started to sport a Sphinx as a bonnet ornament, a symbol that became synonymous with descendent companies.

In April 1919 Siddeley-Deasy was bought out by Armstrong Whitworth Development Company of Newcastle upon Tyne and in May 1919 became Armstrong Siddeley Motors Ltd, a subsidiary with J. D. Siddeley as managing director. In 1927, Armstrong Whitworth merged its heavy engineering interests with Vickers to form Vickers-Armstrongs. At this point, J. D. Siddeley bought Armstrong Siddeley and Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft into his control. In 1928, Armstrong Siddeley Holdings bought Avro from Crossley Motors. Also that year Siddeley partnered with Walter Gordon Wilson, inventor of the pre-selector gearbox, to create Improved Gears Ltd, which later became Self-Changing Gears – the gearbox that should be credited with enabling the marketing tagline "Cars for the daughters of gentlemen".

The first car produced from the union was a fairly massive machine, a 5-litre 30 hp. A smaller 18 hp appeared in 1922 and a 2-litre 14 hp was introduced in 1923. 1928 saw the company's first 15 hp six; 1929 saw the introduction of a 12 hp vehicle. This was a pioneering year for the marque, during which it first offered the Wilson preselector gearbox as an optional extra; it became standard issue on all cars from 1933. In 1930 the company marketed four models, of 12, 15, 20, and 30 hp, the last costing £1450.

The company's rather staid image was endorsed during the 1930s by the introduction of a range of six-cylinder cars with ohv engines, though a four-cylinder 12 hp was kept in production until 1936. In 1933, the 5-litre six-cylinder Siddeley Special was announced, featuring a Hiduminium aluminium alloy engine; this model cost £950. Car production continued at a reduced rate throughout 1940, and a few were assembled in 1941.

The week that World War II ended in Europe, Armstrong Siddeley introduced its first post-war models; these were the Lancaster four-door saloon and the Hurricane drophead coupe. The names of these models echoed the names of aircraft produced by the Hawker Siddeley Group (the name adopted by the company in 1935) during the war. These cars all used a 2-litre six-cylinder engines, increased to 2.3-litre engines in 1949. From 1953 the company produced the Sapphire, with a 3.4-litre six-cylinder engine.

The last model produced by Armstrong Siddeley was 1958's Star Sapphire, with a 4-litre engine, and automatic transmission. The Armstrong Siddeley was a casualty of the 1960 merger with Bristol; the last car left the Coventry factory in 1960.

Member's Car

Armstrong Siddeley 1923

Make - Armstrong Siddeley

Year - 1923

Model - 4/14 

Body - Tourer    Chassis No AS17013   Engine No 12014

Engine - Over Head Valve 4 cyl  1852cc

Gearbox - 3 sp, non-syncro.

Diff. Ratio - 4.7:1

Wheelbase - 9 ft 3 in

Brake - dual system 2 wheel.

Weight - 22 cwt

Wheel - well based disc

Tyre Size - 500x20 inches

Origin - UK

History of this Vehicle

1923 - 83 History unknown.

1983 - Today

 The Armstrong Siddeley tourer Model 4/14 Restored 1983 with full leather trim English Burlington body 4cyl OHV engine, a very rare car fast and reliable tourer, driven regularly on club outings and rallies.

 

AUSTIN

The Austin Story
The Austin Motor Company Limited was an English manufacturer of motor vehicles, founded in 1905 by Herbert Austin. In 1952 it was merged with Morris Motors Limited in the new holding company British Motor Corporation (BMC) Limited, keeping its separate identity. The marque Austin was used until 1987.

In 1920 Sir Herbert Austin commenced working on the concept of a smaller car, mainly to meet the needs of young families aspiring to own an affordable motor car. This idea was spurred on by the introduction of the Horsepower Tax in 1921. His design concept marked a departure from his company's conservative motoring past and Austin received considerable opposition from his board of directors and creditors. Because the company was in receivership Austin decided to carry out the project himself on his own account and in 1921 hired an 18 year old draughtsman, Stanley Edge, from the Austin factory at Longbridge, Birmingham to aid in the drawing of detailed plans. This work was carried out in the billiard room of Austin's Lickey Grange home.

Edge convinced Austin to use a small four-cylinder engine. The original side valve engine design featured a capacity of 696cc ( 55mm x 77mm ) giving a RAC rating of 7.2 hp, the cast cylinder block featured a detachable head and was mounted on an aluminium crankcase. The crankshaft used one roller and two ball bearings and the big-ends were splash lubricated. Edge also carried out the design of other mechanical components such as the three speed gearbox and clutch assembly. Austin was largely responsible for styling the Seven's design, which was reportedly influenced by the design of the Peugeot Quadrilette. The "A" frame chassis design was believed to have been influenced by the design of an American truck used in the Longbridge factory in the early 1920s.

The design was completed in 1922 and three prototypes were constructed in a special area of the Longbridge factory, and announced to the public in July 1922. Austin had put a large amount of his own money into the design and patented many of its innovations in his own name. In return for his investment he was paid a royalty of two guineas on every car sold.

Nearly 2,500 cars were made in the first year of production (1923), not as many as hoped, but within a few years the "big car in miniature" had wiped out the cyclecar industry and transformed the fortunes of the Austin Motor Co. By 1939 when production finally ended, 290,000 cars and vans had been made.

Member's Car
 

Austin 1928

Make - Austin

Year - 1928

Model - Austin 7

Body - Roadster

Engine - Side Valve 4 cyl, in-line. 747 cc 10.5hp

Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro. reverse

Diff. Ratio - ?.?:1

Wheelbase - 6 ft 3 inches

Brake - rear and front

Weight - 794lb

Wheel - Wire

Tyre Size -

Origin - UK - Longbridge

History of this Vehicle (Words by current owner)

Tiny Tim ll has been a family car since 1965 when I followed up an advertisement in Saturdays Herald and bought two trailer loads of A7 bits and pieces for fifty pounds from Rockdale. Thanks to many years of TAFE courses I was able to rebuild the body and chassis then paint and trim the car. The only outside help was some engine work by Peak Rebores, who sadly have only recently closed down. I am one of the few founder members of the WCA still around and can remember a great night at Peak Rebores with the Club watching demonstrations of machining and bearings being poured. Tiny Tim ll was registered with the WCA as 009 and participated in some of the early rallies such as outings to Gledswood and Greens Motorcade at Leppington. I think the most memorable event was the Sydney Harbour Bridge Fifty Years procession in 1982. We moved to the Southern Highlands at the end of 1987 but I have retained my membership of the WCA and fortunately still have some contact with some long standing members.

ln trying to research history one hears of stories allegedly attributed to old cars and rarely can they be verified however Tiny Tim ll did have some involvement with motor sport. When purchased, the body panels had been sign-written with CAMS CORROBOREE 1961 and OFFICIAL CAR. I did take a few photos but can no longer find them. At least I still have the 1965 purchase paper work and the old RTA permits. Since writing some notes about Tiny Tim ll for the Austin 7 Club in their December 2013 magazine more information has come to light about the cars history. A current member of the A7 Club and his late brother bought the car from the original owner, a lady in Arncliffe, in 1961. lt was the late brother, a sign-writer, who painted the information above on the car. The boys then used the car in rallies and gymkhanas. I have been shown contemporary photos of it participating in events. Another current member of the A7 Club recalls driving it in events and winning trophies. The brothers sold the car in Rockdale to a guy who apparently dismantled it. As noted above I bought it in bits in Rockdale in 1965. I had been interested in an original A7 Chummy also in Rockdale but the price was out of my reach. A couple of years ago Tiny Tim II Was dragged out of retirement, fitted with new tyres, brake cables, drums and bonded linings and conditionally registered with our local Club, British and European Club in the Southern Highlands as the Primary Club as I have no desire to drive it in Sydney traffic any more.

There have been some protests on the cars part but hopefully human endeavour will triumph over machine and Tiny Tim ll will run reliably again. At the moment it wants to overheat a bit.

For interest I restored my first car, a 1929 coil ignition A7 Chummy which I called Tiny Tim l, in 1958 and used to drive to College in Wagga taking three days from Sydney. Our family is amused by Tim stories such as cutting out one headlight on the Hume Highway because the generator was so weak and the long battle in low gear up the old Jugiong hill. My wife has also had a long involvement with old cars having worked with museums and car model shops and with rallying. Both of us value the occasional contacts we have with members of the old car scene.

 

AUSTRALIAN SIX

The Australian Six Story (Summary)

Mr. Frederick Hugh Gordon was an early motoring pioneer who recognized the tremendous opportunities that the modern automobile would bring to Australia. Through his Company F. H. Gordon & Company, he was involved in the Motoring Industry from the beginning. He and his colleagues made several trips to America and they met quite a number of the leaders of the American Automotive Industry of the time, including Mr. Louis Chevrolet. Chevrolet was prepared to supply components of the American Six to F. H. Gordon to assemble and sell as his own car in Australia. Gordon was in America at the end of the WW 1 and immediately set in place his plans to import the components for the assembly of his cars in Australia. Back in Australia, Gordon announced to the motoring public in February 1919 that he was about to commence production of a locally assembled six cylinder car, which he had called “The Australian Six”. The cars would be assembled at his factory in McLaughlin Avenue, Rushcutters Bay, Sydney.

Production

The first production cars were available for sale by March/April 1919. Production continued at steady pace for the remainder of 1919. In September 1919 F. H. Gordon joined with John Joshua Hughes and David Buchanan Martin to form a new company, Australian Motors Limited to manufacture the Australian Six on a much larger scale. Gordon's relations with his fellow shareholders seems to have quickly soured. By February 1920 he was in Court F. H. Gordon & Co Ltd last appeared as the agent for Australian Six in May 1920 and by November of that year the other directors had agreed to amalgamate the company with Australian Motors Ltd who initially took over the sales responsibilities.

Move to Parramatta Road, Ashfield.

After the formation of Australian Motors Ltd. Messrs. John Joshua Hughes and David Buchanan Martin took over the control of the manufacturing operations for The Australian Six. It was their belief that for the new company to succeed then the Company must mass produce The Australian Six. They commissioned the construction of new a new factory in Parramatta Road, Ashfield that would be equipped with latest overseas machinery to mass produce The Australian Six. The factory opened in February 1920 and when at peak capacity had 210 employees.A new Company, Australian Six Motor Sales Ltd was registered on 23rd March 1921 to take over the sales of The Australian Six.

Disaster Strikes

Within weeks of the new venture commencing operations, shareholder in both the production and sales companies and Production Manager, Mr. David Buchanan Martin died suddenly. Then a matter of weeks later a second disaster strikes when the Parent Company of the major shareholder in the sales company, Savage Tyres Ltd - New Zealand, went into Receivership, bringing down the local operations of Savage Tyres as well. The impact of these two events was too much for the fledgling Company to withstand and within six weeks of being launched the Australian Six Motor Sales Limited was also forced into Liquidation. Australian Motors Limited struggled on for the remainder of 1921 but in January 1922 liquidation commenced, culminating in the sale of the companies assets to a new company, Australian Six Motors Limited in February 1923. The principals in this company were Messrs Simon Kemelfield and Samuel and Jacob Diamond. Harkness & Hillier On 23rd August 1923 the well known engineering firm of Harkness & Hillier negotiated the purchase of Australian Six Motors from the Diamond Bros & Kemelfield. By this time the manufacturing operations of Australian Six had been cut back from the levels when the Company was at its peak. Initially Harkness & Hillier operated from a small section of the Ashfield premises to reduce costs, however the Financial failure of one of the Banks who underwrote the supporting Mortgage over the Premises at Parramatta Road, Ashfield forced the owners of the Parramatta Road premises to terminate the rental agreement with Harkness & Hillier, forcing them to find alternative premises in which to continue their manufacturing operations of the Australian Six. Harkness & Hillier constructed new premises to assemble the Australian Six in Parramatta Road, Five Dock, not far from the original premises in Ashfield. Production of the Australian Six continued under the Management of Harkness & Hillier. On the 17th July 1925 a fire a destroyed a Bond Store containing the entire stock of parts required for the construction of the Australian Six.

Fire

The fire brought to an end the most ambitious attempt to establish the Six Cylinder Motor Car Assembly Industry in Australia until the arrival of the Holden in November 1948, exactly 30 years after the assembly of the first Australian Six. The Australian Six Adventure spanned seven years, during which time they produced an estimated 500 vehicles.

Member's Car

1924 Australian Six Roadster

Make - Australian Six

Year - 1924

Model - Single Seat Roadster

Body - Roadster, 6 Wheel equipped.

Engine - Rutenber 6 cyl side valve, 230 ci (3.8L), 45 hp (23.4 R.A.C.) @ 2400rpm

Gearbox - Grant-Lees, 3sp, non-syncro.

Diff. Ratio - 4.5:1 (Diff by Columbia)

Wheelbase - 122" (3099mm)

Brake - Foot - 2 rear wheel mechanical external contracting. Hand - Internal on rear wheels.

Weight - 2,900lb (1,318kg)

Wheel - Disk, Steel, by Disteel Wheel Co, Detroit

Tyre Size - 5.00 x 24"

Origin - Australia
 

History of this Vehicle

This vehicle is currently the youngest (chassis # 480) of the four surviving Australian Six cars. Based on current research, we believe that this car was built in late 1924.

1924 – 196?

Unknown, however by 1964 it was used regularly to promote a picture show in the NSW town of Albury.

1964 – 1967

In 1964 it was sold to a new owner in the NSW town of Dareton for the sum of $280. The car was used for several years as the main means of family transport. By 1967 its road going days had long passed and it lay abandoned in a fowl pen.

1967 – 1995

The vehicle was purchased by the grandson of Frederick Hugh Gordon ( the original manufacturer of the Australian Six) for the princely sum of $100.00. The vehicle under went a full professional restoration, which was completed just in time for the car to participate in the 1970 International Rally to Canberra. After the International Rally, the car was for a short time, displayed at Greens Motor Museum, near Liverpool (NSW). The owners relocated to a major inland NSW town, taking the car with them. Consequently the vehicle was not seen by the general public for the next 25 years.

1995 – Today

Currently owned by a Sydney based car enthusiast. The car was displayed at the National Motor Museum Birdwood SA for 12 months as part of a special exhibition to celebrate the first 50 years Car Assembly in Australia.

 

BAYLISS THOMAS

History of Bayliss Thomas company and their Vehicles.

1874 - Penny Farthing push bikes.
1896 - Motor bikes.
1921 - Three wheeled car.
1922 - Motor Vehicles.

The Bayliss Thomas & Co Partnership of 1874 made Penny Farthing Bikes called "Excelsior".

The Company started producing motor bikes in 1896 and in 1919 a two cylinder air cooled three wheel car. This was the forerunner of the Bayliss Thomas car which made its debut in 1921.

"Excelsior" means ever upwards, but the name could not be used in Europe as there was already existing an Excelsior car in Belgium and an Excelsior motor cycle in Germany.

So any of the cars sold there carried the Bayliss Thomas name.

In 1920, R Walker & Sons of Kings Road, Tyseley, Birmingham, took over the company, but continued with the Excelsior and Bayliss Thomas names on the bikes and cars.

The cars ran from 1922 until 1928.

Member's Car
 

Bayliss Thomas -1926

Make - Bayliss Thomas

Year - 1926

Model - 12/27 Light Car

Body - Tourer.

Engine - Henry Meadows 4 cyl 4EC, overhead valve.2 Main bearings, 91.3 ci (1.5L), 27 hp

Gearbox - 3sp, Non-synchro.

Diff. Ratio - ?.?:1

Wheelbase - 113" (2,743mm)

Brake - Foot - 4 wheel, mechanical. Hand - Internal on rear wheels.

Weight - 18CWT, (2,013lb / 915kg)

Wheel - Dunlop detachable artilliary.

Tyre Size - 4.40 x 19"

Origin - UK, Birmingham, Excelsior Motor Co Ltd

 

BUICK

Birth of the Car

1897 - Buick is currently the oldest active North American automotive maker (Autocar, the truck-maker, is the oldest motor vehicle brand along with Oldsmobile, the first auto maker, both founded in 1897) and among the oldest automobile brands in the world. It originated as the Buick Auto-Vim and Power Company in 1899, an independent internal combustion engine and motor-car manufacturer, and was later incorporated as the Buick Motor Company on May 19, 1903, by Scottish born David Dunbar Buick in Detroit, Michigan. Later that year, the company was taken over by James H. Whiting (1842–1919), who moved it to his hometown of Flint, Michigan, and brought in William C. Durant in 1904 to manage his new acquisition. He teamed up with R S McLaughlin in Canada in 1907 with a 15-year contract for motors. In 1908 GM Holding was founded. Buick sold his stock for a small sum upon departure, and died in modest circumstances 25 years later.

1904 - The first Buick made for sale, the 1904 Model B, was built in Flint, Michigan. There were 37 Buicks made that year, none of which survive. The power train and chassis architecture introduced on the Model B was continued through the 1909 Model F. The early success of Buick is attributed in part to the valve-in-head, or overhead valve (OHV), engine patented by Eugene Richard and developed by David Dunbar Buick. The Model F had a two-cylinder engine, an 87-inch wheelbase and weighed 1,800 lbs. The creation of General Motors is attributed in part to the success of Buick, so it can be said Marr and Richard's designs directly led to GM.

1920's - Durant was a natural promoter, and Buick soon became the largest car maker in America. Using the profits from this, Durant embarked on a series of corporate acquisitions, calling the new megacorporation General Motors. At first, the manufacturers comprising General Motors competed against each other, but Durant ended that. He wanted each General Motors division to target one class of buyer, and in his new scheme, Buick was near the top — only the Cadillac brand had more prestige, a ranking that Buick occupies currently in the General Motors lineup. To save on resources, Buick vehicles shared a common platform, called the GM A platform, that was shared with Chevrolet, Oakland, Oldsmobile and Cadillac. The ideal Buick customer is comfortably well off, possibly not quite rich enough to afford a Cadillac, nor desiring the ostentation of one, but definitely in the market for a car above the norm.

1930's - In 1911, Buick introduced its first closed-body car, four years ahead of Ford. In 1929, as part of General Motors' companion make program, Buick Motor Division launched the Marquette sister brand, designed to bridge the price gap between Buick and Oldsmobile; however, Marquette was discontinued in 1930. All Buick, Marquette, Viking, and Oldsmobile products shared the newly introduced GM B platform starting in 1926. Buick debuted two major achievements for the 1931 model year, the OHV Buick Straight-8 engine and a synchromesh transmission in all models but the Series 50.

Member's Car
 

1928 Buick Tourer

Make - Buick

Year - 1928

Model - 25 Standard

Body - Touring

Engine - Buick 4 cyl, side valve. 212.3 ci (3.5L), 35 hp @ 2,000RPM

Gearbox - 3sp, Non-synchro.

Diff. Ratio - 4.9:1

Wheelbase - 114.5" (2,910mm)

Brake - Foot - 4 wheel, external, mechanical. Hand - Internal on rear wheels.

Weight - 3,200lb (1,452kg)

Wheel - Artillery Wheels with Hickory Spokes

Tyre Size - 5.25 x 21"

Origin - Chassis and drive train - USA. Bodied - Holden in Australia.

History of this Car

Ground-up restoration from a pile of rusty bits, meticulously finished in 1994 by Bryson Gale of Davistown. 207 cu in engine reconditioned and running well.

Was used as the police car in the 2011 TV series Underbelly Razor.

 

CHEVROLET

Birth of the Car

On November 3, 1911, Swiss race car driver and automotive engineer Louis Chevrolet co-founded the Chevrolet Motor Company in Detroit with William C Durant and investment partners William Little (maker of the Little automobile), former Buick owner James H. Whiting, Dr. Edwin R. Campbell (son-in-law of Durant) and in 1912 R.S. McLaughlin CEO of General Motors in Canada. 
Durant was formerly within the management of General Motors and had hired Louis Chevrolet to drive promotional cars. The new Chevrolet brand was built on the back of the driver's reputation. 

Actual design work for the first Chevy, the costly Series C Classic Six, was drawn up by Etienne Planche, following instructions from Louis. The first C prototype was ready months before Chevrolet was actually incorporated. However the first production wasn't until the 1913 model. So in essence there were no 1911 or 1912 production models, only the 1 pre-production model was made and fine tuned throughout the early part of 1912. Then in 1913 model was introduced at the New York auto show.
Bodies for the local assembly of Chevrolets were built in Australia as early as 1918 and by 1926 the newly created General Motors (Australia) Pty Ltd had established assembly plants in five Australian states to produce Chevrolet and other GM vehicles using bodies supplied by Holden Motor Body Builders. The merger of General Motors (Australia) Pty Ltd with the troubled Holden Motor Body Builders in 1931 saw the creation of General Motors Holden and the ongoing production of various GM products including Chevrolet in Australia. 

 Chevrolet are still producing cars today which are available worldwide. 

Member's Car
 

Chevrolet - 1929

Make - Chevrolet

Year - 1929

Model - International

Body - Sports Coupe.

Engine - Chev 6 cyl, overhead valve. 191.6 ci (3.14L), 26.3 hp

Gearbox - 3sp, Synchro.

Diff. Ratio - 4.2:1

Wheelbase - 113" (2,870mm)

Brake - Foot - 4 wheel, mechanical. Hand - Rear wheels

Weight - 3,9601lb (1,800kg)

Wheel - Steel disk

Tyre Size - 500 x 20"

Origin - USA

Member's Car
 

1930 Chevrolet

Make - Chevrolet

Year - 1930

Model - AD

Body - Sedan

Engine - Over Head Valve 6 cyl, in-line. 194 ci (3.2L), ??hp @ ????rpm, N.A.C.C. Horsepower rating 26.3hp

Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.

Diff. Ratio - ?.?:1

Wheelbase - 107.0" (2718mm)

Brake - Foot - 4 wheel mechanical.

Weight - 3,9601lb (1,800kg)

Wheel - Steel disk

Tyre Size - 4.50 x 20"

Origin - USA

Canadian built, fully restored vehicle, and is driven regularly on club outings and rallies.

 

CHRYSLER

History of Chrysler

The Chrysler Corporation was founded by Walter Chrysler on June 6, 1925, when the Maxwell Motor Company (est. 1904) was re-organized into the Chrysler Corporation.
You’ll find that the name Walter Chrysler comes up in the history of a number of car brands. He had been hired by the ailing Maxwell-Chalmers company in the early 1920s, to overhaul the company's troubled operation, after Chrysler had managed a similar rescue of the Willys car company. 
The Chrysler 70 (also called the B-70) had launched in 1924. It was 6-cylinder automobile, designed to provide customers with an advanced, well-engineered car at a more affordable price than the market expected. Elements of this car are traceable back to a Willys prototype developed while Chrysler was there. 
Chrysler’s cars were innovative. The original 1924 Chrysler included a carburetor air filter, high-compression engine, full pressure lubrication inside the engine, and an oil filter, at a time when most autos came without all these features. Among the innovations in its early years would be the first practical mass-produced four-wheel hydraulic brakes, a system nearly completely engineered by Chrysler with patents assigned to Lockheed. Chrysler pioneered rubber engine mounts to reduce vibration; Oilite bearings; and superfinishing for shafts.
Chrysler also developed a road wheel with a ridged rim, designed to keep a deflated tire from flying off the wheel. This safety wheel was eventually adopted by the auto industry worldwide.[8]
Following the introduction of the Chrysler, the Maxwell marque was dropped after the 1925 model year. The new, lower-priced 4-cylinder Chrysler introduced for 1926 year was a badge-engineered Maxwell.[9] The advanced engineering and testing that went into Chrysler Corporation cars helped to push the company to the second-place position in U.S. sales by 1936. 
In 1928, Chrysler Corporation began dividing its vehicle offerings by price class and function. The Plymouth, DeSoto were divisions of Chrysler, and Dodge was later purchased to become part of the Chrysler family.

 

Member's Car
 

Chrysler 1928

Make - Chrysler

Year - 1928

Model - "72"

Body - Sedan timber bodied.

Engine - Flat head straight six engine, 5in stroke, 3.25 in bore, 7 main bearings, Developed 75 hp, 4.1 ltr, 248.9 cubic inch, SAE horse power 25.35

Gearbox - Three speed non synchronized gearbox

Diff. Ratio - ?.?:1

Wheelbase - 118.7"

Brake - Foot - 4 wheel hydraulic external

Weight -

Wheel - Artillery 18 " six wheels

Tyre Size - 5.50 x 18"

Origin - USA

Restored from a pile of parts to original glory. Read the owner's restoration story here

DESOTO

History of DeSoto

DeSoto is an American brand, operated as a division of Chrysler from 1928 until the early 1960s. Founded by Chrysler in 1928, the first DeSoto was released in 1929 with record breaking sales exceeding 80,000 cars in it's first year. The brand held the remarkable first year sales record until 1960 when the Ford Falcon was released. 
 

The DeSoto takes it name from Spanish explorer Hernado de Soto who was the first European documented to cross the Mississippi River. De Soto’s likeness was used on the logo. The brand was pitched in the mid-price class, as a lower cost version of Chrysler products which could be more competitive against brands like Oldsmobile, Buick and Studebaker at the time.

Member's Car

DeSoto - 1929 (Sedan)

Make - DeSoto

Year - 1929

Model - Sedan

Body - Sedan

Engine - DeSoto 6 cyl.175 ci (2.8L)

Gearbox - 3sp, manual.

Diff. Ratio - 4:7

Wheelbase - Overall Length - 155 5/8 without bumpers, 169" with bumpers

Brake - 4 wheel hydraulic.

Weight - Weight - 2655 lbs

Wheel - Artillery

Tyre Size - Tyre Size - 19 x 5 inc

Origin - USA

History of this 1929 DeSoto

The vehicle was registered in New Zealand in 1975. It was purchased by the current owner in Feb 2007 from Caringbah NSW in a million pieces. Since acquiring the vehicle the owner and his three boys have worked on the project tirelessly to bring it up to what it is today. Work included: 

  • All the woodwork had to be replaced because of dry rot had set in, there wasn't a single piece that could be salvaged. There were some missing pieces in the woodwork which we had to work out. It was all replaced in Tasmainian Oak.

  • Parts of the panel work were missing, we handmade everything in steel.

  • All chassis striped, cleaned and painted.

  • All bushes replaced, front and rear springs were reset, new clutch fitted, new brakes and hoses, etc. New fuel tank.

  • Radiator and front bumper bars custom made. All chrome work redone.

  • Motor striped down and checked. Only 75,000 original miles. 

  • All wiring had to be redone from scratch and runs 12 volt

  • Resprayed in Acrylic paint (Red) to try and keep the old look

  • Interior - all replaced in Burgundy Leather and Charcoal carpet.

  • All instruments kept original

  • Everything we have done was in keeping with the cars era.

Member's Car

DeSoto - 1929 (K)

Make - DeSoto

Year - 1929

Model - K

Body - Roadster by Holden, with dickey seat.

Engine - DeSoto 6 cyl. side valve, 175 ci (2.8L), 55hp @ 3,000rpm.

Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro

Diff. Ratio - 4:7:1

Wheelbase - 109.75" (2788mm)

Brake - Foot - 4 wheel hydraulic. Hand - On transmission.

Weight - 2,450lb (1,114kg)

Wheel - Artillary, timber spokes

Tyre Size - 450/500 x 19"

Origin - USA

History of this Car

Found in a paddock in 1980 by an enthusiast from Wollongong, who purchased it for $100 and restored it over approximately five years.

The vehicle was later sold to car enthusiast on the Central Coast. Since 1996 the vehicle has been on all but two annual VVCA Club tours, many Hub Rallies and club events. The car has covered many thousands of miles around NSW Victoria and South Australia, being very reliable having very few problems over the years.

DODGE

Our Club has quite a number of Dodge members. Please select the image of the car you are interested in to find out more. Or jump to the Dodge page to read about history of Dodge and browse through details of all our member's Dodges here

 

ESSEX

Essex was set up in 1917 as a separate firm to the Hudson Motor Company to manufacture smaller cheaper companion cars for their Hudson Super Six. The company had a working capital of $500,000. A new plant was acquired from Studebaker in Detroit but they did not use it, as it was required for the war effort. The production of the new Essex was delayed for 10 months and it then commenced in a Hudson factory. The prototype car was proposed to be started in June 1918 but again the war effort delayed this until December 1918.
 

1919 - The first Essex WAS made in 1918 but it was called a 1919 model. It was a tourer bodied car of 108" wheelbase. The four cylinder engine was an F head design with inlet valves in the head and the exhaust valves in the block. It had a bore of 3 3/8" with a 5" stroke. It produced 50 HP.


1920 - 150 cars were produced each day giving a production of 21,879 for the year. Costing from $1595 the cars proved very popular 4 cylinders 178.9 ci, 55 HP and 108.5" wheelbase.


1922 - New coach (2 door sedan). This was a very boxy shape with very little curved timber in the body construction. As a result the steel skin over the timber had very little shape but it was cheap at $1495 and this started a trend to closed car bodies.


1923 - The last 4 cylinder Essex. Chassis and Serial numbers were 516884 to 541897, 622988 to 639411 and 8451130 to 847210. These numbers were on a brass plate near the vacuum tank. Wheelbase was 108".


1924 - Introduction of a new 6 cylinder motor 129.9ci and 50 HP, 110.5" wheelbase. It was a L head side valve motor with 3 main bearings, bore of 2¾ and 4" stroke, with an unusual cast enbloc inlet manifold. It lacked the power of the 4 cylinder motor. Chassis numbers 100000 to 144375. 1925 - Production remained somewhat unchanged except for a slightly higher powered motor. 144.7 ci and 55BHP because of the stroke enlarged to 2 11/16". Chassis numbers 144376 to 337845.


1926 - Nickel plated radiator shell in July of that year. Bodies in the closed cars had more shape and the "all steel body" made its appearance. Numbers of the chassis went from 337848 to 442676. Late models had the horn button on the steering wheel instead of the dash and the numbers went from 442677 to 499909. Closed body cars imported into Australia had the "piano hinges" on the doors .


1927 - The "Essex Super Six" introduced. The high revving engine peaked at 4000 rpm. The multi plate of earlier car was now replaced with a single wet clutch running in oil. Restorers of today use an automatic gear box oil to replace to oil/kerosene mixture for the clutch. Others replace the clutch with a Holden clutch out of LC/LJ Torana with some modification!! The chrome plated radiator had horizontal slats for the last time. Telegage liquid system was used a "petrol gauge" in a directly lit dash. Later in 1927 the stroke was increased by ¼" to 4 ½", 21 inch tyres were used. Numbers from 610276 to 706269.


1928 - 4 wheeled Bendix 3 shoe brakes was a big selling point. It was called the "Mascot Super Six" because of the muscled bound man which acts as a mascot radiator cap. The radiator surround had vertical slats. Numbers went from 706270 to 9286657. This number is stamped on the chassis on the left hand rail under the passenger's feet ( on right hand drive cars). The steering wheel is moulded rubber and the instrument panel now has a temperature gauge. 20"'wheels.


1929 - After being king of the sixes for a number of years Essex lost out to Chevrolet who offered a 6 cylinder motor for the first time, as it was cheaper and lighter in weight. The Essex was known as the "Challenger". A new manifold and Marvel carburettor, more compression, increase bore to 2 ¾", rubber mounted and a two piece sump were the only changes to the motor. The vacuum tank has a glass bowl at the bottom. Numbers are from 928658 to 1165673. Four shock absorber are now standard. The bonnet has two rows of louvres on each side and the chassis has built in bumpers bar brackets. The instrument panel has an interesting dual electric oil and petrol gauge which change with the push of a button. 19" wheels.


1930 - "Super Challenger". 113" wheelbase, 60 BHP @ 3600 rpm motor. Double vents on the top of the cowl. Chassis Nos. 1165674 to 1234266.


1931 - The motor was increased in size to 175.3 ci which developed 60 HP @ 3300 rpm. No Essex cars were imported into Australia in 1931.


1932 - This is where the history of Essex gets mixed up in each source you read. The "Greater Essex Super Six" was a descendant of the 1931 model. It had downdraft carburation. A "ride control" system which adjusts the shock absorbers from inside the car! 5.25 x 18" wheels. The engine size is now 193.1 ci producing 70 HP @ 3200rpm. The "Pacemaker" was introduced mid year with either a 6 cylinder with a 106" wheelbase or a 8 cylinder with 113" wheelbase.


1933 - Some sources (Department of Motor Transport NSW ) state that there were Essex Terraplane Six with a 106" wheelbase with 17" x 5.25" tyres, side skirted mudguards. Nos. 5001 and up. Engines 26727 and up. Terraplane Eight 16" tyres V type radiator. Chassis from 65001 and up Engines 15001 and up. Other sources say that the Essex name disappeared in 1933 to be replaced by the Terraplane name only. These MAY have been left over models from USA.
 

In the period between 1918 and 1932 Essex made 1,331,107 cars. Details compiled by: Club Member

Member's Car

Essex - 1928(Mascot Super Six)

Make - Essex

Year - 1928

Model - Mascot Super Six

Body - Sedan, 5 Wheel equipped.

Engine - Side Valve 6 cyl, 153 ci (2.5L), 55hp @ 3,000rpm

Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.

Diff. Ratio - 4:7:1

Wheelbase - 110.5" (2807mm)

Brake - Foot - 4 wheel mechanical, 3 shoe Bendix all around. Hand - all 4 wheels.

Weight - 2,800lb (1,273kg)

Wheel - Artillery, Timber.

Tyre Size - 500 x 20"

Origin - USA

History of this Car

The vehicle was fully restored by the owner over 10 year period, being completed in 1986. Read the owner's restoration story here

Member's Car
 

Essex - 1929 Challenger

Make - Essex

Year - 1928

Model - Challenger

Body - Tourer

Engine - Side Valve 6 cyl, in-line, L head. 161.4 ci (2.6L), 55hp @ 3600rpm N.A.C.C. Horsepower rating 19.4hp

Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.

Diff. Ratio - ?:?:1

Wheelbase - ???.?" (????mm)

Brake - Foot - 4 wheel mechanical.

Weight - ???lb (???kg)

Wheel - Artillery, Timber spokes with detachable rims

Tyre Size - ?? x ??"

Origin - USA

History of this Car

This vehicle was acquired from Blacktown N.S.W in 2000 in very bad condition. Restoration had commenced, but of bad quality on chassis, etc.

The owner pulled the whole car to bits and started from ground up. Everything from Brakes to Chassis to panels had been redone, and the Essex made its first run in 2004. Not bad for a three and a half year project.

 

FIAT

The Fiat story began is 1907 and the company is still producing cars a well known brand around the world today. 

We would appreciate any of our Fiat owners submitting photos and information about their car for the website. If you would like to contribute please get in touch via the contact us form. 

 

FORD

Ford was established in 1903 by Henry Ford in Detroit Michigan USA. Ford built his first automobile, which he called a quadricycle, at his home in Detroit in 1896. 
 

During its early years, the company produced a range of vehicles designated, chronologically, from the Ford Model A (1903) to the Model K and Model S (Ford's last right-hand steering model) of 1907. In 1908, Henry Ford introduced the Model T. In the first year 10,000 cars were produced, but demand was growing and Ford upgraded to larger factories and in 1911 just under 70,000 were produced and the over 170,000 in 1912. 


By 1913, the company had developed all of the basic techniques of the assembly line and mass production. Ford introduced the world's first moving assembly line that year, which reduced chassis assembly time from ​12.5 hours to just 2 hours 40 minutes and boosted annual output to over 200,000 units that year. After a Ford ad promised profit-sharing if sales hit 300,000 between August 1914 and August 1915, sales in 1914 reached 308,162, and exceeded 500,000 in 1915. By 1920, production would exceed one million cars per year.


During these innovations, employee turnover was very high, while increased productivity reduced labor demand. Turnover meant delays and extra costs of training, and use of slow workers. In January 1914, Ford solved the employee turnover problem by doubling pay to $5 a day, cutting shifts from nine hours to an eight-hour day for a 5-day work week. This change also increased car sales because a line worker could buy a Model T with less than four months salary. Ford's hiring practices identified the best workers, including disabled people considered unemployable by other firms. Employee turnover plunged, productivity soared, and with it, the cost per vehicle plummeted and sales grew. Ford cut sale prices again and again and invented the system of franchised dealers who were loyal to his brand name. Wall Street had criticized Ford's generous labor practices when he began paying workers enough to buy the products they made. Henry Ford clearly had the last laugh. 

Member's Car
 

Ford - 1928 (Model A Phaeton)

Make - FORD

Year - 1928

Model - AR

Body - Phaeton

Engine - 4 Cylinder No CA 4911

Gearbox - 3 speed

Diff. Ratio -

Wheelbase -

Brake -

Weight -

Wheel - 21in wire spokes

Tyre Size - 21x 4.50

Origin - USA

History of this Car

bBught new at Collarenebri Ford dealer in 1928 and used as personal transport and at lease on one local mail run till the late 1950`s.

The current owner bought it to run around the farm in 1963 as a 13yr. old, mostly `roo shooting. In `64 it had new rings in it & an old 2nd gear cog. At the same time a Dutchman was painting the homestead & offered to paint "Hilty" the old Ford. It is otherwise original. 

It was driven around town in 1985 for a few days for the local School Centenary & pretty much parked it in a shed until 2013 when they pulled it out pumped up tyres, cleaned fuel lines, new battery & oil change, a bit of points attention and the old girl is running again. Body is in very good original order, timber very dry, bows are OK. but hood died years ago.

GUY

 

Guy Motors was an English manufacturer that produced cars, lorries, buses and trolleybuses. The company was founded by Sydney S. Guy. The first was built in 1914. Their production was focused on the war effort building lorries and some aircraft motors and depth charge fuses. 

We would appreciate any of our members submitting photos and information about their car for the website. If you would like to contribute please get in touch via the contact us form. 

Member's Car
 

Guy - 1928 (O.N Truck)

Make - Guy

Year - 1928

Model - O.N

Body - 30 cwt Truck.

Engine - 4 cyl, overhead valve. 207. ci (3.4L), 44 hp, compression 4.25:1

Gearbox - 4sp, Non synchro.

Diff. Ratio - 6:75:1

Wheelbase - 134" (3,403mm)

Brake - Foot - 2 wheel, internal on rear wheels only. Hand - Internal on rear wheels.

Weight - 1 Ton 11 cwt (3,465lb / 1,575kg)

Wheel - Steel disk

Tyre Size - 700 x 20"

Origin - UK


This vehicle has stayed with the same family since purchased new in 1929. 

Detailed History of this Vehicle

(By owner)

Manufactured bu GUY MOTORS LIMITED, Wolverhampton UK.  It was purchased new by my maternal grandfather (Thomas Quain) in November 1929 from the then agents, Dalgety and Co Perth, WA at a cost of $750.00.  The vehicle has been continuously in the family's ownership since then.

 

From 1935 until 1944, due to petrol shortages during the depression and the war, the truck operated on 'producer-gas' - a 'non-fossil fuel generated from charcoal produced by burning dried eucalypt wood in controlled conditions on the Quain property in the Dalwallinu district, about 230km north-east of Perth in Western Australia.  The gas producer and associated oil coolers and cleaners were constructed by my uncle, Joseph Quain.

 

The weight of the vehicle unladen is 1 ton 11cwt and it is powered by a four cylinder pushrod operated overhead valve enging of 3.4 litres displacement operating on compression ratio of 4.25 to 1.  The gravity fed fuel system supplies petrol to a Zenith carburettor and ignition is by Lucas magneto.

 

The truck is load rated as '30 Hundred Weight' and consistently carried loads, mainly bagged wheat, baled wool, superphosphate etc in excess of two and a half tons.

 

Whilst the vehicle was extensively restored during 1985 it was however in driveable (if rather dilapidated) condition when the restoration commenced.  Prior to this the cylinder head was last removed in 1944 on conversion from producer-gas to petrol operation.  The vehicles running gear, clutch, gear box and rear axle assembly had not previously required any attention other than routine lubrication and adjustment.

 

The mechanical aspect of the restoration has involved an engine rebuild, new clutch and brake linings and gear-box bearings.

Over-size cast iron pistons, which had been bought from GUY MOTORS in 1945 and were still in factory packing including small-end bushes and gudgeon pins were used in the engine rebuild.

 

The fully floating rear axle runs in very substantial plain bronze bearings and the differential is of the overhead worm-drive type.

 

The braking system, which operates on the rear wheels only, comprises four brake shoes inside each brake drum; two of the shoes being operated by the handbrake whilst the other two are operated by separate linkages activated by the foot brake.

 

The gearbox has four forward speeds (and reverse) and employs straight cut gears and includes a provision for a power take-off from layshaft.

 

The front wheel bearings, swivel pins and bushes and steering linkages are original and required cleaning only.  The front and rear springs as well as the shackle pins and bushes required replacement doubtless due to the combination of heavy loads and the condition of the roads on which the truck was used.

 

The tray, originally made of jarrah has been rebuilt using local ash; the cedar cab, dash, and cabin foot boards are original as are the instruments.  The gear-driven generator, magneto and electric starter are also part of the original equipment.

 

Recently a spare engine, clutch and gear-box has been discovered and provides a most useful source of potential spare parts.  The engine and gear-box (which are in working condition) had been used as a saw-bench in a saw-mill at Drouin, Victoria.

 

The Guy is the subject of review (including a photograph) in the January 1987 edition of the English veteran car magazine 'AUTOMOBILE'.  The Guy was joint winner of the Canberra Antique and Classic Car Club's "Restoration Award" for 1987.

 

The Guy is now registered in ACT as a Vintage Car.

Information on these cars has been complied by members and sourced from car history records and Wikipedia.

To contribute or update details please get in touch via our contact us form. 

© VVCA. Proudly created with Wix.com