MEMBERS VEHICLES

On this page you have access to some of our club car photos, a little information about each car's make and a few great restoration stories.

Use a quick photo link to jump to the brand you're interested in, or browse down through them all. If you would like to know more about a particular car or have restoration questions for the owner please submit a request via our contact page. 

For makes A-G Click Here

 

HUPMOBILE

Hupmobile

After starting work with the railways and then working for Olds Motor Works, Ford and later at Regal, Robert Craig Hupp wanted to product his own car. With paid up capital of $25,000 the Hupp Motor Car Company was established on 8th November 1908. By this time the prototype was finished that he started in a small work shop in Detroit, early 1908.

The car was first exhibited at the Detroit Automobile Show in February 1909. Orders flowed for the two seater runabout with a 2.8 litre 4 cylinder side valve engine. It was an immediate success and 1618 cars were produced in 1909 and they could not keep up with the demand.

Through the to the 20s production steadily rose to 19,225 cars with 1,700 men employed. The company enjoyed considerable success with more than 5000 men employed the mid 20s and production peaking at 66,000 in 1928. Hupmobile introduced a medium priced straight eight in 1925 followed by a 6 cylinder car in 1926 to replace the outdated 4 cylinder model.

The depression years devastated small automobile companies like Hupp with production dropping to 17,450 cars in 1931 and plummeting to about 9,500 cars in 1934 and 1935. Production was suspended in 1936 and just 1,752 cars produced in 1937. The company was placed in receivership in 1938 and after the City of Detroit wrote off the tax liabilities production was resumed. In a desperate move they produced 1500 Skylarks in 1939 and 1940. This was a luxury car with the Cord body on Hupmobile chassis.

The company was declared bankrupt in 1940 and reorganized for the war production began. At the end of the war the directors decided not to resume automobile manufacture and diversified into manufacture of home appliances and electronics. It became a subsidiary of White Consolidated Industries in 1967.

 

LANCHESTER

Started in 1889 by the three Lanchester brothers in Birmingham UK, the Lanchester motor company produced cars until 1955. Ownership of the brand has changed hands a number of times and now remains property of Jaguar Land Rover. 

Member's Car

Lanchester - 1928(Model 21)

Make - Lanchester
Year - 1928
Model - 21
Body - Tourer
Engine - 6 x cylinder 23hp of 3,340 c.c.
Gearbox - 4 speed 'crash' with reverse.
Wheelbase - 11ft 1 ins
Origin - UK, Birmingham Lanchester Motor Company

About this Vehicle

It has a single over head camshaft and valves, with a cross flow head.Ignition is be BTH polar magneto and Delco coil. Carburation is by modified Smiths 4 jet updraught. Fuel is supplied by Autovac from a rear tank. Electrics are 12 volt and dual wiring.Gear box is 4 speed 'crash' with reverse. Drive shaft is enclosed, ending in Lanchester high efficient under slung worm and wheel rear axle. 4 wheel brakes. Semi-elliptic springs up front with much copied (but never bettered) long cantilevers at the rear. Hartford friction shocks only on the front axle. Lanchester are the only firm (to the owner's knowledge) who made their own springs. Chassis is extremely stiff. Unlike many competitors, you could buy a complete vehicle with Lanchester body or a chassis only. Lanchester bodies were built on other manufacturers chassis.

The owner believes that the car started life as a Barker 7 seat limousine but it was purchased as a tourer in 1990 and has been updated progressively aiming to bring it back to original condition. 

 

LINCOLN

Lincoln motors were built in Australian and USA. 

The Australian Lincoln Pioneer Six
Lincoln Pioneer Six was manufactured in Australia from 1919 with the Continental Red Seal Brand motor.

Scottish born Charles Innes immigrated to Australia in 1882. He established a Motor Garage in Railway Street, Chatswood. He was frequently referred to as an engineer who had a vision for an Australian produced car, designed for Australian conditions and in 1918 he realized his dream with the construction of the first ‘ Lincoln Six’. aka “Lincoln” or “The Lincoln Pioneer Six” and the “Australian Lincoln”

First Lincoln
Charles Innes claimed that he designed his car on paper to suit Australian conditions from the best components available on the American and European markets. Mr. Charles Innes often described himself as an engineer first and a car salesman second. He travelled to America in 1918 with his plans for his “car”. Innes purchased sufficient components to construct a rolling chassis, with the help of some American friends. They fitted a temporary seat, and then drove the chassis from Detroit to the Pacific Coast along the then incomplete Lincoln Highway, a distance of some 3,338 miles. On arrival in San Francisco, having proved his design, he ordered components for a number of cars.

Production
All mechanical components for the early Lincoln Sixes were imported, only the bodies were made locally. Upon his return to Sydney, Charles Innes established his factory in Chalmers Street, Sydney adjacent to Central Railway Station. Shortly after setting up his factory, Charles Innes began the task of sourcing many of his components from local suppliers. Components such as radiators, guards, step irons, petrol tanks, engine mounts, tyre carriers, spring hangers, springs etc. were made locally – all other components were imported:- engine (well respected Continental Red Seal Motor - Model 7W engine), gear box (Detroit Gear & Machine Company), Clutch (Borg & Beck, front axle and differential (Timken), wheels (Firestone), steering box (Gemmer), chassis frame (US Chassis Frame Company), fuel system (Zenith & Stewart/Auto Vac), starter, generator, ignition, ammeter (Autolite), speedo (Stewart), lights (Hall Lamp Company),

The vehicles received a good reception at the capital city motor shows from 1920. The Lincoln Six was frequently reviewed as ‘…exceptionally fine in quality, beautiful in appearance, luxurious in equipment, easy to control and thoroughly reliable.’ In 1923 the Lincoln Six introduced a “New Model”. Built on new chassis, some were possibly sourced from the Receivers for the Australian Six. The last Lincoln is believed to have been assembled in late 1926 or early 1927.

Two Disastrous Events
Unfortunately Charles Innes experienced several major set backs that may have caused any lesser man to walk away from his vehicle assembly enterprise. There are two significant chapters in the history of the Lincoln Six that are note worthy:

“On the night of June 18, one of the most disastrous fires Sydney has known, took place. It resulted in the destruction of A. H. Burnet & Co. Ltd large eight story building, the Crescent Shirt Co.’s factory and the building occupied by the Lincoln Motor Car Coy. The Bowser Equipment which stood inside the entrance to the Lincoln Motor Car Coy.’s premises came through practically unscathed. The fire that swept Chalmers Street, Sydney recently took Mr. Innes’s factory in its stride, destroying the whole of his assembling plant, a large shipment of components and, worst of all, his blue prints. It seems he was without insurance.

The Lincoln Motor Car Coy was registered at Help Street, Chatswood on the 17th December, 1918 as a business name. In America, on 8th August 1919 the Lincoln Motor Co. was registered in Detroit, Michigan by the Leland family, subsequently purchased by Henry Ford in February 1922 as his new “flagship”. A series of Claims and Counter Claims for name use were lodged in local Courts, ultimately ending in the high court of Australia. Charles Innes, trading as the “Lincoln Motor Car Coy.” was successful at the first hearing, but on appeal to higher Courts the decision was over turned, giving both Companies the right to use the word “Lincoln” in the same market. The loss of the Law suit had a great impact on Charles Innes and although the LMCC continued until late 1926 or early 1927 Charles Innes was not active in the business shortly after the Court ruling was handed down.

Charles Innes and Adele Mabel Innes were long time residents of Sydney’s North Shore. Charles Innes passed away in 1968 at the age of 85 years.

Member's Car

1921 (Aussie Lincoln Tourer)
Make - Lincoln 5 Seater Tourer
Year - 1921
Model - 1921
Body - Tourer.
Engine - 6 - 224 ci Continental Red Seal Motor 7W Series
Gearbox - Detroit Gear & Machine Company
Diff. Ratio - 3.38 : 1
Wheelbase - 120 inches
Brake - 14 inch drum rear only
Weight - 2,800 lbs
Wheel - 24 inch Hayes Wire
Tyre Size - 24 inch by 4.50
Origin - Australia

Member's Car
 

1929 (American Lincoln Sedan)
Make - Lincoln
Year - 1929
Model - Model "L" 168A
Body - Limousine / Sedan by Lincoln.
Engine - V8 Side valve Lincoln. 385 ci (6.3L), SAE 39.9 hp, developing 90hp @ ?RPM
Gearbox - 3 speed with an air compressor fitted.
Diff. Ratio - 4.7:1 Full floating rear axle.
Wheelbase - 136" (3,454mm)
Brake - Foot - 4 wheel, 3 shoe mechanical Bendix, 16" dia finned drums. Hand - Internal drum on rear wheels.
Weight - 49CWT, (5,511lb / 2,500kg)
Wheel - Lincoln welded Wire.
Tyre Size - 700 - 20"
Origin - USA, Detroit

History of this Vehicle

Vehicle left the factory on the 15th of April 1929 as a right-hand-drive and was shipped to Branch 36 for export. New price $5,300 FOB Detroit USA.

From 1948 - 1955 it was owned by a bus company in Wollongong NSW who also had a hire car service. In the early fifties it was sold to one of the bus drivers who took it to Mangrove Mountain on the Central Coast of NSW. It was sold again to a person at Yarramalong (a small suburb nearby) and then auctioned for 50 pound at University Motor Auctions (Sydney) in 1955.

Purchased for 55 pounds one week after it was auctioned. Vehicle was driven for a while then placed in storage in used car yard at Rockdale, Sydney. In 1986 it was purchased then restored by present owner over the next 20 years.

 

NAPIER

The Napier company was already well known as a leading precision engineering company when it commenced building motor cars in 1900 having been formed in the early 1800’s.

They earned their fame making machinery to very precise standards. Some of their better known designs were printing machines for the Hansard of the British government, bank note printers were made for the Bank of England as well as coin weighing machines.

An early car owner was Selwyn Francis Edge ,Sydney born and the London manager of the Dunlop company, had purchased a 6hp Panhard-Levassor of 1896. He felt that it needed bringing up to date and was advised to go to the Napier company. They converted it to Edges wishes and started to look at the production under their own name.

A deal was struck whereby Napier would build the cars and Edge would have sole rights to sell them. The first car was available in 1900, it was powered by a two cylinder and optionally a four cylinder engine.

Success in car Trials which were very popular at the time brought the cars in the view of the public and their abilities became common knowledge. Next came a 16hp four cylinder car . Soon after a 16 hp car was modified to take a 24hp engine and it was a 24 that was driven by Charles Glidden around the world generating more interest in Napier cars.

The company took the road of larger high powered cars for the better off customers. They were not the first to use six cylinders but they certainly were to perfect them and use them in considerable numbers. They moved along from 30 hp cars to 40hp, 45hp 60hp 65hp to 90 and 100hp, and a few in between. A series of four cylinder 15 and 20 hp cars were built concurrently . More of the smaller cars were built but it was the big sixes that brought fame to Napier especially stunts such as Edges 24 hour drive around Brooklands track with only stops for fuel oil etc. He averaged 65.9 mph (106.3 kmh) an unimaginable feat in 1907.

By comparison with other makes the output of some Napier models was quite limited . This was intentional, small numbers of big cars for Royalty and the titled gentry, and the prices charged made sure this aim was achieved.

During the First World War Napier like other companies turned to war production. The four cylinder cars of 15 and 20hp which had been made alongside the big cars were converted for many uses such as ambulances ,troop carriers field kitchens etc.. Trucks were also built for the war effort as were aero engines under contract to the Air Ministry. This probably irked the company somewhat and their designer Rowledge was instructed to develop an aero engine under Napiers name. This became the Lion a ‘W” or broadarrow configuration which became famous for its performance lasting up to the second World War.

When WW1 ended the company only built limited car types , and the final type T75 which developed into the T77,T79 and T80 .The total production was a mere 187 cars of which 5 are know to have survived. They were sold as the 40/50.

The last were built in 1924 and then the company turned to high quality engines for aircraft, trains and marine purposes. Its famous engine of the WW2 period was the ‘Sabre’ a 24 cylinder H section engine which powered Typhoons and Tempests.

As an aside, Napier were very imaginative when it came to engine configurations. The in line upright engine was no longer for them. As mentioned the Lion was a W configuration and they later used a vertical engine with two crankshafts at each end with the pistons which travelled in one cylinder creating a combustion chamber when the pistons are at their closest point, inwards vertical H , horizontal H and for those interested in trains they built the famous Deltic. A triangular configuration with three crankshafts at the points with two pistons travelling toward each other on each side of the triangle. Simply put each triangle has three crankshafts and six pistons. This engine could be built in various power outputs by placing layers back to back . the biggest was of 18 cylinders . High power output and rapid acceleration was the Deltics strong point .It was also used for high speed naval vessels.

The company had been absorbed into English Electric Company in 1942 and since then has had several other owners. For further information:  www.napierheritage.org.uk  or  www.napiercars.com

Member's Car
 

1923 Napier
Make - Napier
Year - 1923
Body - Tourer

Colour - Grey

OLDSMOBILE

 

The Oldsmobile Story (Summary)
1897 - Ransom E Olds founded the Olds Motor Works.

1900 - OMW moves to Detroit and birth of the Oldsmobile name.

1901 - First Curved Dash Oldsmobile. Factory is destroyed by fire.

1902 - Factory moves back to Lansing and makes 20 cars per day. Forerunner of mass production. 37% of cars produced in USA.

1903 - Holds speed record of 52 mph for cars under 1200 pounds in weight.

1904 - Ransom E Olds retires from company.

1908 - Oldsmobile joins General Motors.

1910 - Oldsmobile Limited is produced for $5000 ! It had 42" (1075mm) wheels and had a 6 cylinder 707 ci engine.

1912 - Smaller Model 40 with 299 ci engine.

1914 - Model 42 with over head valves.

1916 - Model 44 first V8 engine (247ci).

1917 - Model 37 6 cylinder OHV.

1918 - 20,262 cars produced.

1919 - OHV 4 cylinder truck, 2617 produced.

1920 - 40,000 units produced.

1921 - V8 , 4 and 6 cylinder cars and trucks were made.

1923 - Model 30 had a 6 cylinder OHV motor sales topped 35,205 with cars priced from $750 but it was a poor quality engine. However it continued for 4 years.

1925 - First chrome plating used. Duco paint also introduced. Oldsmobile employees were encouraged to submit ideas to improve the business. Think. Is It Safe? and "Anything short of my best is not acceptable" . There was a good team spirit in the factory.

1927 - 4 wheel brakes used for the first time together with a new 6 cylinder motor 185 ci. When the chief engine designer picked up a car off the assembly and tried to drive it to Detroit, it burnt out bearings, he realised it was time to build a real motor.

1928 - The new 6 cylinder together with self energising front brakes, 14 different models, prices ranging from $US 925 to $US1125.00. Total of 88,581 cars were sold. Known as the F28, the first of the F series up to F40 of 1940 1929 Sales of Oldmobiles topped 100,00 with 25 different models! A new V8 Viking car produced but only sold 8003 in two years and was then dropped. The stock market crash on 29th October quickly changed everything.

1933 - Saw the introduction of the first straight 8 Oldsmobile motor.

1934 - The depression was lifting and the sales went to 84,271 Both the V8 and the six produced 90HP.

1938 - Automatic Safety Transmission introduced. Actually it was a 4 speed semi-automatic.

1948 - The Dynamic series introduced.

1950 - Series 51 with 6 and 8 cylinders.

1951 - Series 88 V8 only.

1957 - Series 88 Golden Rocket.

1964 - Cutless and Jetstar models V8's.

1966 - Tornado model introduced.

2004 - 29th April. Last Oldsmobile made. until then it was the oldest car name still producing cars in the USA.

Member's Car
 

Oldsmobile - 1929 (F29 Deluxe Sports)
Make - Oldsmobile
Year - 1929
Model - F29 Deluxe Sports
Body - Roadster, 6 Wheel equipped.
Engine - Side Valve 6 cyl, 197 ci (3.2L), 62hp @ 3,000rpm.
Gearbox - 3sp, Non synchro.
Diff. Ratio - 4.45:1
Wheelbase - 113.5" (2883mm)
Brake - Foot - 4 wheel mechanical, 3 shoe Bendix on front. External contracting on rear.
Weight - 2800lb (1273kg)
Wheel - Wire
Tyre Size - 500 x 20"
Origin - USA
History of this Vehicle

A 1986 purchase, then fully restored by the owner over 12 year period, being completed in 1998. This vehicle has Fisher body over timber frame, Delco Remy electrics, and tours comfortably at 50mph achieving 18mpg (imp).

PACKARD

 

Packard was an American luxury automobile marque built by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, United States. The first Packard automobiles were produced in 1899, and the last Detroit-built Packard in 1956, when they built the Packard Predictor, their last concept car.

Packard bought Studebaker in 1953 and formed the Studebaker-Packard Corporation of South Bend, Indiana. The 1957 and 1958 Packards were actually badge engineered Studebakers, built in South Bend.

Member's Car
 

Packard - 1922 (Single Six)
Make - Packard
Year - 1922
Model - Single Six
Body - Sport Tourer.
Engine - Side Valve 6 cyl, 268.4 ci (4.4L), 54hp @ ????rpm.
Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.
Diff. Ratio - 4:3:1
Wheelbase - 126" (3200mm)
Brake - Foot - 2 rear wheel mechanical, external contracting. Hand - Internal expanding on rear wheels.
Weight - 3357lb (1526kg)
Wheel - Wire, Buffalo
Tyre - 500 x 24"
Origin - USA

History of this Vehicle
The vehicle was delivered to Australia complete with Packard built body, when new. It was found abandoned near Bourke NSW in the early 1970's, and had been badly smashed. As it was fitted with producer gas equipment, it was probably dumped around late 1930's - 1940.

The current owner purchased the car in 1976 and restored until slowly until 1985. The body was called a Sport by Packard and not many were produced, it has a lower belt line and longer bonnet than the 5 & 7 passenger tourers of the same model.

Packard - 1923 (Single Six)
Make - Packard
Year - 1923
Model - Single Six
Body - Roadster, with dickey seat, 5 wheel equipped.
Engine - Side Valve 6 cyl, 268 ci (4.4L), 54hp @ ????rpm.
Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.
Diff. Ratio - 4:6:1
Wheelbase - 126" (3023mm)
Brake - Foot - 2 rear wheel mechanical, external contracting. Hand - Internal on rear wheels.
Weight - 3000lb (1364kg)
Wheel - Wire, Buffalo
Tyre - 500 x 24"
Origin - USA
History of this Vehicle
Vehicle was purchased as chassis, engine, cowl and guards only. The body was missing which is being manufactured by the owner.

PONTIAC

 

The Pontiac Story (Summary)
1893 - Pontiac Buggy Company established in Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan by Edward M. Murphy.

1907 - Edward M. Murphy decided to create motor car with Oakland Motor Car Company in 1907 and withdrew carriage production.

1909 - General Motors purchases a half interest in Oakland Motor Car Co. on January 20. When its founder, Edward Murphy, passes away the following summer, his company comes under the full control of General Motors.

1925 - Ben H Anibal, who had been chief engineer for Cadillac, was engaged to design a completely new six-cylinder car.

1926 - The first Pontiac car is introduced by Oakland. The 'Chief of the Sixes,' a 6-cylinder car Series 6-27, is launched at the 1926 New York Auto Show. It had 110-inch wheelbase and featured a Fisher-designed body with a six-cylinder L-head engine.

1927 - The Series 6-27 produced 127,883 units.

1929 - Pontiac built its 500,000th car

1932 - The Oakland name is dropped and Pontiac Motor Division is established. B-O-P Sales Company is established, consolidating the wholesale sales forces of Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac. It is disbanded the following year.

1937 - Pontiac introduces the industry's first column-mounted gearshift. Linden Division, Linden, NJ, is established to assemble Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs closer to the points of sale in the eastern U.S.

1945 - The Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac Assembly Division is organized. It later becomes General Motors Assembly Division (GMAD) in 1965.

1957 - The Bonneville model, with Pontiac's first fuel injection engine, is introduced.

1967 - Pontiac introduces the Firebird, its third line of cars.

1976 - GM introduces its downsized Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and Cadillac full-size and luxury cars in September.

1984 - A new organizational structure for GM's North American Passenger Car Operations is formed. Two integrated car groups, Chevrolet, Pontiac, GM of Canada (C-P-C) and Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac (B-O-C), each have complete responsibility for their respective products, including engineering, manufacturing, assembly and marketing.

1988 - GM introduces its 'GM10' family of newly redesigned midsize cars -- the Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and Pontiac Grand Prix.

1989 - Four door sedan versions of the 'GM 10' Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme are introduced. The Pontiac Trans Sport and Oldsmobile Silhouette all-purpose vehicles debut. These models feature the largest plastic panels ever put on any vehicle.

1996- Pontiac and GMC marketing divisions are merged to form Pontiac-GMC Division.

2001 - Pontiac vehicles celebrates its seventy-fifth anniversary.

General Motors announces that its Ste. Therese, Quebec plant, which builds the Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird, will close in September 2002 in conjunction with discontinuation of the Camaro and Firebird models.
2004 - GM announces plans to produce the sporty Pontiac Solstice roadster, first shown to the world at the 2002 North American International Auto Show, at its Wilmington, Del., assembly plant. The Solstice is to go on sale as a 2006 model year car. General managers: --Oakland Motor Car Company: Pontiac Motor Division:

1907-08 Edward M. Murphy

1909-10 Lee Dunlap

1911-14 George P. Daniels 1951-52 Arnold Lenz

1915 Charles W. Nash

1916-20 Fred W. Warner

1921-23 George H. Hannum

1924-30 Alfred R. Glancy

1931 Irving J. Reuter

1932-33 William S. Knudsen

1933-51 Harry J. Klinger

If you find fault with any of this information or if you would like to add further to this page, please email vvca_info@hotmail.com

Compiled by: Steve K.

References; Main source: General Motors Corporation
http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/makehistory/121,0/makeHistory.aspx
http://www.innerauto.com/Pontiac_Parts/Pontiac_Sunbird_Parts/
http://web.telia.com/~u50102742/history.htm.

Members Car

Pontiac - 1928 (6-28, Roadster)
Make - Pontiac
Year - 1928
Model - 6-28
Body - Roadster. WF Stewart Body
Engine - Side Valve 6 cyl, split head. 186 ci (3.0L), 43hp @ 2,400rpm. 25.35 hp NACC
Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.
Diff. Ratio - 3:8:1
Wheelbase - 110" (2,794mm)
Brake - Foot - 4 wheel mechanical, Internal expanding on front, external contracting on rear. Hand - Internal expanding on rear wheels.
Weight - 2,420lb (1,100kg)
Wheel - Artillery 12 spoke with 20" x 4" rims
Tyre Size - 500-20
Origin - USA, Flint - Michigan

History of this Vehicle

Originally bought at The Brisbane Show as a wedding present and was driven by the lady until her passing. It was then owned by a university student who sold eventually sold to a person living at Moura. Sold again in January 1996 with Qld vintage plates. The vehicle was complete and going, but not roadworthy with many problems. Repairs include; Sleeving one cylinder; Diff' had ground ball bearings rolling around in it; Shock Absorbers; Brakes; and many other smaller problems. The paint was left alone and believed to be fairly close to original. The vehicle was put on NSW club plates in 1997, and has covered quite a few miles since then. 

Members Car

Pontiac - 1928 (6-28, 2 Door Sedan)
Make - Pontiac
Year - 1928
Model - 6-28
Body - 2 Door Sedan by Holden.
Engine - Side Valve 6 cyl, split head. 186 ci (3.0L), 43hp @ 2,400rpm. 25.35 hp NACC
Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.
Diff. Ratio - 3:8:1
Wheelbase - 110" (2,794mm)
Brake - Foot - 4 wheel mechanical, Internal expanding on front, external contracting on rear. Hand - Internal expanding on rear wheels.
Weight - 2,420lb (1,100kg)
Wheel - AArtillery 12 spoke with 20" x 4" rims
Tyre Size - 500-20
Origin - USA, Shipped in knock down form, assembled by Holden.

History of this Vehicle

Purchased in 1976 and kept in storage while sourcing missing parts. A full restoration began in 1991, and took 4 years of fairly constant work to complete. All work was carried out by the owner, and the vehicle was road registered in 1995. The vehicle was introduced back onto the road with a baptism of fire, by being taken on the club's Annual Tour that covered around 1,400 miles. 

Members Car

Pontiac - 1928(6-28 Tourer)
Make - Pontiac
Year - 1928
Model - 6-28
Body - Tourer.
Engine - Side Valve 6 cyl, split head. 186 ci (3.0L), 43hp @ 2,400rpm. 25.35 hp NACC
Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.
Diff. Ratio - 3:8:1
Wheelbase - 110" (2,794mm)
Brake - Foot - 4 wheel mechanical, Internal expanding on front, external contracting on rear. Hand - Internal expanding on rear wheels.
Weight - 2,420lb (1,100kg)
Wheel - Artillery 12 spoke with 20" x 4" rims
Tyre Size - 500-20
Origin - USA, Shipped in knock down form, assembled by Holden.

History of this Vehicle

1928 - 1975 Unknown, except that it came from St Albans. 
Purchased in 1975 as a chassis with engine and radiator mounted in it, with the rest of it in boxes. It took a few months to sort out what was missing and wondering where to start. 

Work on it began in December 1975. Traveling all over the place to the various swap meets, and following up any lead resulted in most of the parts. Many could not be found, and some had to be made by the owner including the spokes for the artillery wheels.

The restoration took 8 years, and the vehicle was road registered in October 1983. It made it's first Annual Tour in 1984, and has since covered most of south-east Australia including The Bay to Birdwood run in Adelaide. It is a good reliable tourer, albeit not real fast.
 

REO

 

The REO Story
Reo resulted from a 1904 argument at Olds Motor Works, the first car company founded by the tenacious Ransom Eli Olds. When colleagues began pressuring him to build four- and six-cylinder models that were more substantial than his little Curved-Dash Oldsmobile, Ransom ventured down the street to set up a rival concern. By year's end, this new R.E. Olds Company was called Reo Motor Car Company, after his initials. Ransom got his "revenge": through 1917, Reo outproduced Olds Motor Works.

From the company's beginning to 1919, Reo fielded one-, two-, four-, and six-cylinder cars. The firm's all-time production record, 29,000, came in 1928, by which time Reo was selling sixes only. After seeing car sales fall almost 30 percent in calendar-year 1929, Reo posted a $2 million loss on 1930 volume of about 12,500 cars and a like number of trucks. The Depression had hit, and Reo was mortally wounded. But even though the company never sold more than 5000 cars a year after 1932, some of those it did sell were memorable, and among the handsomest automobiles ever created.

 

1931-32 Reo Royale The 1931-1932 Reo Royales were beautiful high-performance cars.

The Flying Cloud Sixes of 1930 were little changed from 1929. That year's junior Reo was the 115-inch-wheelbase Model 15, basically the previous year's low-priced Flying Cloud Mate with the same 60-bhp, 214.7-cubic-inch Continental engine. Senior models, now called Flying Cloud Master, comprised the 120-inch Model 20 and 124-inch "25" powered by a 268.3-cid Reo engine with 80 bhp. Prices were in the upper-middle bracket at $1175-$1870 (after Depression-prompted cuts). Styling, by the talented and once unappreciated Amos Northup, was classic, formal, and finely proportioned. Workmanship was solid, furnishings top-quality.

January 1931 brought an expanded line that ultimately offered two new straight-eights. Model nomenclature denoted cylinders and wheelbase. The larger eight, delivering 125 bhp from 358 cid, was reserved for magnificent new 8-35 Royales on a strong double-drop frame with 135-inch wheelbase. It also powered companion 8-30 Flying Clouds. Anchoring the line was the new 6-25 with 85-bhp 268 six, selling at around $1800.

The Royale premiered at $2495 with three closed Murray-built bodies. All were smooth and truly beautiful, Northup pointing the way for everyone else with skirted fenders, rounded corners, and raked-back radiators. The 8-30 and 6-25 wore a more conservative version of this look. Reo also announced an immense new 152-inch Royale chassis for custom coachwork by Dietrich, comprising an imposing seven-passenger limousine and three convertibles. But apart from show models, few of those opulent Reos were ever built. Though all Royales had effortless performance with their big nine-main-bearing engine, they were hardly appropriate for hard economic times.

Reo spent $6 million on these initial 1931 models, hoping to spark sales. When sales failed to ignite, the firm threw additional variations at the market: a Royale 8-31; the Flying Cloud 8-25, with a new 90-bhp eight not much bigger than Reo's six; and the 6-21, really a 6-25 downpriced to the $995-$1100 region. But none of these caught on either, and Reo lost nearly $3 ­million on sales of just 6762 cars.

Still trying hard, Reo unveiled a smaller Flying Cloud in January 1932, the 117-inch-wheelbase 6-S. Carrying a debored 230-cid six with 80 bhp, this new entry-level line listed nine open and closed models in Standard and DeLuxe trim for $995-$1205. Eight-cylinder Clouds returned virtually without change. So did Royales, but the 8-31 and 8-35 were now nameless, and 8-52s were retagged Royale Custom. Of course, everything hinged on the 6-S, but it failed to make the needed impression, and Reo car sales fell to 3900 for the calendar year. Desperately seeking cash, the firm agreed to sell 6-S bodies and chassis to equally beleagured Franklin for that company's 1933 Olympic, which was nearly identical except for grille, hood, and air-cooled Franklin power.

With all this, Reo had no choice but to drastically cut its 1933 line. Thus, Flying Cloud Eights vanished in January. So did the 6-25, though its engine returned in a new low-end S-2 Flying Cloud that replaced the 6-S on an inch-longer wheelbase. The longest chassis was also dropped, leaving N-2 standard and Elite Royales on the 131-inch platform and N-1 Customs on the 135-inch chassis. Prices were cut too, but the cuts weren't enough to matter. Despite smoother styling and sturdier new X-member frames, Reo's calendar-year registrations fell to 3623, the lowest on record.

With trucks now far more profitable than cars , the Reo board voted on May 18, 1936, to move truck assembly into the main Lansing plant; on September 3rd, Reo officially left the auto business. Though the company lost nearly $1.4 million on its 1936 cars, it was able to write off $604,000 for terminating its auto operations. Reo then turned exclusively to the truck field. Ironically, it would thrive there far longer than it had with cars, producing for the next 40 or so years under the Reo and Diamond-Reo nameplates.

Members Car

1929 Reo
Make - Reo
Year - 1929
Model - "C"
Body - Master Sports Sedan
Engine - Straight 6 cyl
Wheel - 6 wheeled equipped
Origin - USA

ROLLS ROYCE

 

In 1884, Henry Royce started an electrical and mechanical business. He made his first car, a two-cylinder Royce 10, in his Manchester factory in 1904, and was introduced to Charles Rolls at the Midland Hotel in Manchester on 4 May of that year. Rolls was proprietor of an early motor car dealership, C.S.Rolls & Co. in Fulham.

In spite of his preference for three or four cylinder cars, Rolls was impressed with the Royce 10, and in a subsequent agreement of 23 December 1904 agreed to take all the cars Royce could make. There would be four models:

a 10 hp (7.5 kW), two-cylinder model selling at £395 (£40,000 as of 2014),
a 15 hp (11 kW) three-cylinder at £500 (£50,000 as of 2014),
a 20 hp (15 kW) four-cylinder at £650 (£60,000 as of 2014)
a 30 hp (22 kW) six-cylinder model priced at £890 (£80,000 as of 2014),
All would be badged as Rolls-Royces, and be sold exclusively by Rolls. The first Rolls-Royce car, the Rolls-Royce 10 hp, was unveiled at the Paris Salon in December 1904.

Rolls-Royce Limited was formed on 15 March 1906, by which time it was apparent that new premises were required for production of cars. After considering sites in Manchester, Coventry, Bradford and Leicester, it was an offer from Derby's council of cheap electricity that resulted in the decision to acquire a 12.7 acres (51,000 m2) site on the southern edge of that city. The new factory was largely designed by Royce, and production began in early 1908, with a formal opening on 9 July 1908 by Sir John Montagu. The investment in the new company required further capital to be raised, and on 6 December 1906 £100,000 (£9,000,000 as of 2014), of new shares were offered to the public. In 1907, Rolls-Royce bought out C.S. Rolls & Co (The non-motor car interests of Royce Ltd. continued to operate separately.)

During 1906 Royce had been developing an improved six-cylinder model with more power than the 30hp. Initially designated the 40/50 hp, this was the company's first all-new model. In March 1908 Claude Johnson, Commercial Managing Director and sometimes described as the hyphen in Rolls-Royce, succeeded in persuading Royce and the other directors that Rolls-Royce should concentrate exclusively on the new model, and all the earlier models were duly discontinued. After the introduction of the Phantom model in 1925 this 40/50 model was referred to as the Silver Ghost. The new 40/50 was responsible for the company's early reputation with over 6,000 built. In 1921, the company opened a second factory in Springfield, Massachusetts in the United States (to help meet demand), where a further 1,701 "Springfield Ghosts" were built. This factory operated for 10 years, closing in 1931. Its chassis was used as a basis for the first British armoured car used in both world wars.

After the First World War, Rolls-Royce successfully avoided attempts to encourage the British car manufacturers to merge. Faced with falling sales of the 40/50 (later known as Silver Ghost) the company introduced the smaller, cheaper Twenty in 1922, effectively ending the one-model policy followed since 1908.

In 1931 Rolls-Royce acquired the much smaller rival car maker Bentley after the latter's finances failed to weather the onset of the Great Depression. From soon after World War II until 2002 standard Bentley and Rolls-Royce cars were often identical apart from the radiator grille and minor details.

In 1933, the colour of the Rolls-Royce radiator monogram was changed from red to black because the red sometimes clashed with the coachwork colour selected by clients, and not as a mark of respect for the passing of Royce as is commonly stated.

Rolls-Royce and Bentley car production moved to Crewe in 1946 where they began to assemble complete cars with bodies from the Pressed Steel Company (the new standard steel models) for the first time. Previously they had built only the chassis, leaving the bodies to specialist coach-builders.

Members Car

Rolls Royce - 1923 (Twenty Rolls)
Make - Rolls Royce
Year - 1923
Model - The 20
Body - Tourer
Engine - 6 cyl, mono bloc. 3" x 41/2" bore, 20 hp @ ??RPM
Gearbox - 3 sp, and r Non-synchro.
Diff. Ratio - 4.29:1, spiral bevel
Wheelbase - 10'9"
Brake - Foot - 2 rear wheel, internal, mechanical. Hand - Internal on rear wheels, mechanical.
Weight - ??1lb (??kg)
Wheel - wire detachable
Tyre Size - 32'x41/2"
Origin - UK, Bodied in Australia.

History of this Vehicle
The car was built in England and sent here to get a body from Smith and Waddington - it is a tourer and painted the original colour of Smith and Waddington green and black guards - the original upholstery was brown however "Ruby" (as she is known) now has cream Connoly hide in exactly the same fashion as original.

The body work and upholstery were done by Max Houston.

The owner purchased the car in 2013 from the nephew of the original owner who himself was 80 years old and had an order of Australia the original tools, work light and handbook with the car.

The car was kept at Inverell and spent most of its life there - used around the farm as when the wet set in it was the only car to get through the mud. The car is quite original - everything seems to work well except the altimeter and the odometer.

The Manual actually covers doing a top overhaul qand other periodic maintenance tasks it starts with :

"An owner would do well to instruct his driver as follows" reflecting the very different time.

The Twenty was a considerable departure from previous RR models, and thought to be the only model with a central gear change to a three speed box. The hand brake is also inside the car in the centre. 

 

ROVER

After developing a template for the modern bicycle with its Rover Safety Bicycle of 1885, the company moved into the automotive industry. It started building motorcycles then cars. The first Rover was a tricycle manufactured by Starley & Sutton Co. of Coventry, England, in 1883. 

In 1888, Starley made an electric car, but it never was put into production.  Three years after Starley's death in 1901, and H. J. Lawson's subsequent takeover, the Rover company began producing automobiles with the two-seater Rover Eight to the designs of Edmund Lewis, who came from Lawson's Daimler. 

Rover also manufactured the Land-Rover from 1948 onwards, which went on to become its most successful and profitable product — with Land Rover eventually becoming a separate brand in its own right.

Members Car

Rover 1924
Make - Rover
Year - 1926
Model - 9/20 Super 9
Body - Tourer
Engine - Rover 4 cyl, overhead valve
.65.4 ci (1.07L),20 hp @ ??RPM
Gearbox - 3sp, Non-synchro.
Diff. Ratio - 4.8:1, Worm & wheel
Wheelbase - 99" (2,514mm)
Brakes - Foot - 2 rear wheel, internal, mechanical.
Hand Brake - Internal on rear wheels, mechanical.
Weight - ??1lb (??kg)
Wheel - Steel disk
Tyre Size - 4.4 x 19"
Origin - UK,Bodied in Australia.

 

SINGER

SINGER cars were built from 1905 to 1970

Singer made their first four wheel car in 1905. It was designed by Alexander Craig and was a variant of a design he had done for Lea-Francis having a 2-cylinder 1853 or 2471 cc engine.

The first Singer designed car was the 4-cylinder 2.4 litre 12/14 of 1906. The engine was bought in from Aster. For 1907 the Lea-Francis design was dropped and a range of two-, three- and four-cylinder models using White and Poppe engines launched. The Aster engined models were dropped in 1909 and a new range of larger cars introduced. All cars were now White and Poppe powered. In 1911 the first big seller appeared with the four cylinder 1100 cc Ten with Singer's own engine. The use of their own power plants spread through the range until by the outbreak of the First World War all models except the low-volume 3.3 litre 20 hp were so equipped.

Lionel Martin made his first ascent of Aston Hill in that hill-climbing competition in a tuned Singer 10 car, 4 April 1914. He repeated his success a month later and when he first registered his own car the following year he called it an Aston Martin

The Ten continued after the war, with a redesign in 1923 including a new overhead-valve engine. Six-cylinder models were introduced in 1922. In 1921 Singer took over another Coventry car maker Coventry Premier and continued to sell a range of cars under that name until 1924. Calcott was purchased in 1926. For 1927 the Ten engine grew to 1300 cc and a new light car with 850 cc overhead cam (ohc) engine, the big selling Junior was announced and at the same time the Ten became the Senior. By 1928 Singer was Britain's third largest car maker after Austin and Morris.

During the 1920s Singer, restricted by a built-in site acquired other companies for factory space. In 1926 they made 9,000 cars. In 1929 with seven factories and 8,000 employees they produced 28,000 cars though having just 15% they trailed far behind Austin and Morris which shared 60% of the market. Hampered by their new acquisitions, the cost of new machinery and a moving assembly line in their latest acquisition Singer's offerings were eclipsed by new models from their rivals; Austin, Morris and Hillman and then from 1932 the new Ford model Y.

The range continued in a very complex manner using developments of the ohc Junior engine first with the Nine (two bearing crank), the 14/6 and the sporty 1½-litre in 1933. The Nine became the Bantam in 1935. Externally the Bantam was very similar to the Morris Eight, had a three-bearing crankshaft and it was the first Singer to be fitted with a synchromesh gearbox, albeit with only three forward gears.

The 1935 Le Mans Tourist Trophy race was a disaster, three of the four Singer 9 cars crashed because of steering failures before the fourth was withdrawn. In May 1936 W E Bullock who had been managing director from 1919 together with his son, general manager from 1931, resigned following criticism from the shareholders at their annual general meeting. No longer viable Singer & Co Limited was dissolved in December 1936 and what had been its business was transferred to a new company - Singer Motors Limited.

After the Second World War the pre-war Nine, Ten and Twelve were initially re-introduced with little change. In 1948 the SM1500 with independent front suspension and a separate chassis was announced, still using the SOHC 1500cc engine. It was, however, expensive at £799, and failed to sell well as Singer's rivals also got back into full production. The car was restyled to become the Hunter in 1954. The Hunter was available with an HRG-designed twin overhead-cam version of the engine, but few were made.

By 1956 the business was in financial difficulties and Rootes Brothers, who had handled Singer sales since before the First World War, bought it. The Singer brand was absorbed into the Rootes Group, whose brands largely sold badge engineered versions of each other's cars. The next Singer car, the Gazelle, was a Hillman Minx variant that retained the pre-war designed Singer ohc engine for the I and II versions but this too went in 1958 when the IIA was given a push-rod engine. The Vogue, which ran alongside the Gazelle from 1961, was a rebadged Hillman Super Minx with more luxurious trim.

By 1970, Rootes were beginning to struggle financially. They had been acquired by the American Chrysler organisation, and founder Sir William had died in 1964. In April 1970, as part of a rationalisation process, the last Singer rolled off the assembly line, almost 100 years after George Singer built the first cycle.he last car to carry the Singer name was an upmarket version of the rear engined Hillman Imp called the Chamois. With the take over of Rootes by Chrysler begun in 1964 and completed in 1967, many of the brands were to vanish and the Singer name disappeared forever in 1970. The site of the Singer factory in Coventry is now occupied by Singer Hall, a hall of residence for Coventry University.

Members Car

Singer 1930
Make - Singer
Year - 1930
Model - Junior Sports
Body - Sports Sedan
Engine - 4 cyl
Gearbox
Diff. Ratio
Wheelbase
Brakes
Weight
Wheel
Tyre Size
Origin - UK

 

STUDEBAKER

1852 - The company 'H. & C. Studebaker' begins 16th February, with Henry and Clem Studebaker buying a blacksmith shop in South Bend, Indiana, USA. In their first year, they produced 2 full sized wagons
1870s - The company suffered 2 disastrous fires and recovered to produce 75,000 wagons annually. Brother John Mohler Studebaker goes west looking for fortunes in the gold fields, and ends up making a small fortune building wheel barrows for the prospectors. JM (Wheelbarrow Johnny) returns to Southbend with $8,000.00 and buys Henry's share who wants to go back to farming.
1902 - First automobile (electric powered). Electric power was chosen mainly due to JM not liking the smell, noise, or unreliability of the gasoline powered designs.
1904 - First gasoline powered vehicle was joint venture with the 2 cylinder, 4 seat Studebaker-Garford tourer.
1913 - First all Studebaker vehicle. Graduating from 2 cyl, to 4, then to 6 with the 'Big Six' in 1917.
1920s - Building more than 100,000 vehicles per year under Company President Albert R. Erskine.
1929 - Depression strikes hard, forces re-organisation and rationalization in 1933 after struggling to survive.
1930s - Raymond Lowey begins designing cars for Studebaker.
1942 - War effort causes car production to cease, replaced by aero engines, bomber fuselages, Weasel troop carriers, and the tough 6x6 wheel drive trucks.
1947 - Raymond Lowey's design team introduce radical looking Champions, Commanders and the unique Starlight Coupe.
1950s - Studebaker develope own automatic transmission, introduce V8 engine, self adjusting brakes, automatic overdrive and Hill-Holder system. Studebaker is struggling financially to compete with the Big Three auto makers.
1953 - Lowey Studios designed Starliner hartop and pillared coupes. The Starliner is generally hailed as one of the most beautiful cars ever made, and led to the finned Hawk line of cars in 1956. The supercharged Golden Hawk of 1956-57 was one of the most powerful cars of the time with 275 horsepower V8.
1954 - Studebaker merges with Packard in effort to bolster company profits, but creates more problems than it solved.
1959 - The successful Lark was released as a down sized car, which led to the rush of 'compact' cars form other makers. The Lark and Hawk range were locally assembled in Australia, with locally manufactured power brakes and interiors.
1960s - The Big Three caught up with their vast range of compacts, resulting in major loss of market share for Studebaker again. The Lowey, fiberglass bodied Avanti was futuristic in design and technically advanced, it broke many performance records.
1964 - The Lark was remodeled and renamed as, 'Challenger', 'Daytona' and 'Cruiser' in a failed attempt to resurrect sales.
1966 - After 114 years, Studebaker ceases manufacture and closes down. Plants were in South Bend, Hamilton and Ontario in Canada.
Studebaker Corp continued business, after the vehicle manufacturing ceased in March 1966, with it's subsidiaries such as STP, Gravely, Clarke and Onan.
1967 - Studebaker purchased the Wagner Electric Corp in mid 1967, then it amalgamated with Worthington Corp in November 1967 to be known as the Studebaker-Worthington Corp.
1979 - That survived about 12 years, then it was then taken over by McGraw Edison in 1979.
1985 - McGraw Edison was taken over by Cooper Industries of Houston in April 1985.
Studebaker still lives in the form of Avanti. The forward styling of the Avanti has stood the test of time with the Avanti Motor Corp securing the rights to continue manufacture the 'Avanti II'. Nathan Altman and Leo Newman purchased buildings and equipment from Studebaker and set about producing an exclusive vehicle using Corvette power plants. The rest of the vehicle is essentially was the same as originally built by Studebaker

1982 - Here we go again, the Avanti Motor Corp was sold in October. The new owner retained the company name but made a few changes, reverting back to 'Avanti' and a convertible was new for 1985.
1986 - The Avanti Motor Corp was sold in 1986, being re-named to "The New Avanti Motor Corporation". Things began to change quite a bit from here.
1987 - Long wheelbase 2 door on a GM chassis and production moved to Youngstown, Ohio.
1988 - Company sold and re-named "Avanti Automotive Corporation".
1991 - Production ends, after manufacturing coupes, convertibles and 4d sedans.
1999 - The remains of the company are obtained by consortium and raised from the ashes.
2001 - Now in the full control of Michael Kelly, there are coupes and convertibles being produced.
At the time of closing in 1966, Studebaker was the oldest manufacturer of wheeled vehicles in the USA with 114 years of manufacturing.

Studebaker Lives today in the hearts and memories of many owners, club members and enthusiasts around the world, who appreciate the heritage, the vehicles, and the significant place in automotive history which began so long ago. To Henry and Clem, thank you.

Compiled by: Steve K.

References; "The Studebaker Century" Hall & Langworth, "Studebaker Cars" Maloney, "The Antique Studebaker Review" Antique Studebaker Club, "Turning Wheels" The Studebaker Drivers Club, hemmings.com.

Members Car

EL Special Six 1924
Make - Studebaker
Year - 1924
Model - EL Special Six, Tourer.
Body - 5 Passenger, 4 door Tourer,5 Wheel equipped.
Engine - Studebaker 6 cyl. side valve,289 ci (4.7L),55hp @ 2000rpm.
Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.
Diff. Ratio - 4.3:1
Wheelbase - 119" (3023mm)
Brake - Foot - Foot - 2 rear wheel mechanical, external contracting.Hand - Internal on rear wheels.
Weight - 3234lb (1470kg)
Wheel - Wire, Budd.
Tyre Size - 500 x 24"
Origin - USA

Members Car

EL Special Six 1924
Make - Studebaker
Year - 1924
Model - EL Special Six, Tourer.
Body - 5 Passenger, 4 door Tourer,5 Wheel equipped.
Engine - Studebaker 6 cyl. side valve,289 ci (4.7L),55hp @ 2000rpm.
Gearbox - 3sp, non-syncro.
Diff. Ratio - 3.7:1 (4.3:1 std)
Wheelbase - 119" (3023mm)
Brake - Foot - 2 rear wheel mechanical external contracting.Hand - Internal on rear wheels.
Weight - 3234lb (1470kg)
Wheel - Artillery timber spokes.
Tyre Size - 500 x 24"
Origin - USA

History

Thought to be owned by doctor on south coast of NSW until 1970 when bought for $300, stored it in a shed on blocks with the wheels off. Vehicle was in completely original condition, although totally worn out when purchased.

The body was painted maroon and the leather upholstery was in poor condition requiring full recondition. The timber was in good condition and didn't need replacing.

The vehicle was fully restored over 3 years with all major work carried out by the owner, it is a very reliable club car.

 

SUNBEAM

1899 - first Sunbeam, Mabley.

1976 - last Sunbeam, Rapier H120.

SUMMIT

 

Summit 1923
Make - Summit
Year - 1923
Model - Roadster
Body - Roadster, 6 Wheel equipped
Engine - Lycoming
Gearbox
Diff. Ratio - 4.6:1
Wheelbase - 112 inches
Brakes - 12" rear only
Weight - 2992 lbs
Wheel - 24 artillery wood
Tyre Size - 24 by 400
Origin - Australia

WILLYS

 

Willys 1921
Make - Willys
Year - 1921
Model - Overland Standard 1921
Body - Tourer
Engine - 4 cyl. ,131 ci.16/95
Gearbox - 3 & R
Diff. Ratio - 4.5:1
Wheelbase - 100"
Brake - Foot - 4 wheel self servo.Hand - rear wheels
Weight - 2,548lb (1,156kg)
Wheel - Artillery wooden
Tyre Size - 525 x 21"
Origin - American

© VVCA. Proudly created with Wix.com